Turmeric is the dried, ground rhizomes of a tropical plant of the ginger family and is native to South Asia. McCORMICK Turmeric is widely used in Indian curries, especially Madras, for its wonderful earthy flavour and yellow colour. In fact, Turmeric is often used because of its ability to turn anything yellow, and is commonly added to bring a rich golden colour to rice and potatoes.
Turmeric adds punch to curries and savoury dishes. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Sprinkle into boiling water to add vibrant colour to rice.
- Use to complement vegetable, bean and lentil dishes.
- Use turmeric in curries, soups and sauces.
- Use whenever a dish will be enhanced by a brighter yellow colouring such as relishes and mustard.
- Stir fry sliced onion and cooked potatoes in a little oil and turmeric.
Available at local IGA, Super IGA and other independent food grocers.Please note that certain products may not be availabe in particular outlets.