Foolproof Gravy Tips
Mastering the art of making a delicious gravy is well worth the effort. Here are a couple of handy pointers to help you avoid some of the common pitfalls:
• Lumpy gravy? Pour the mixture into blender for no more than thirty to sixty seconds. Do not over blend. Pour back into pot and reheat.
• Gravy too thin? Instant mashed potato flakes will work as a thickener and produces no lumps. Add a mixture of either flour and water or cornstarch and water, which has been mixed to a smooth paste. Add gradually, stirring constantly, while bringing to a boil.
• Too salty: Try adding a pinch of brown sugar.
• Avoid making gravy in an aluminium (anodized is okay) pan as it can turn the gravy gray.
• Liquid gravy browner can be added to gravy to improve colour.
• Whisking in a tablespoon of butter or cream just before serving will give gravy a rich, satiny texture.
• Cooked meat stores and freezes better in its gravy. The gravy keeps the meat from drying.