- Heat oil in a large deep saucepan on medium-high heat, add the onion, celery and beef then cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic powder, cumin, mixed herbs, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Stir in flour, sugar, ale, stock and bring to the boil.
- Simmer on low heat with the lid on for 1½ hours or until beef is tender, stirring the mixture occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Evenly divide beef between 4 large heatproof bowls and top with pastry.
- Bake for 25 minutes until pastry is crispy and golden.